Virtual Museum of the Vietnam War
Technical Bulletin 746-93-1
Section ( I ) General
- This bulletin is published to define the colour and marking
requirements for Department of the Army military vehicles (except
commercial design), construction and highway maintenance equipment, and
motorised materials handling equipment.
- Special colour and marking requirements for commercially designed
vehicles in administrative use are contained in AR 58-1. Only military
design vehicles will be included in this bulletin.
- The instructions contained herein apply to all Department of the Army
activities and installations using, maintaining or procuring such
vehicles or equipment. Certain and specific exceptions to the normal
colour and marking requirements are identified in later sections of this
- Instructions for application of special technical markings not shown
herein are located in specific Department of the Army publications.
- Instructions for the painting of vehicles and equipment will be found
in TM 9-213, provisions of which are included in this bulletin by
- Requests for waivers to the provisions of these regulations or for
authorisation to apply additional markings will be forwarded with full
justification to the Commanding General, U.S. Army Supply and Maintenance
Command, ATTN: AMSSM-MM, Washington, D.C. 20315.
- Vehicles used for intelligence, criminal investigation, and similar
purposes requiring concealment of the true identity of the activity
involved may be painted and marked as deemed appropriate by the
responsible commander. The proper identification of such vehicles will be
marked in inconspicuous locations as prescribed in applicable Department
of the Army technical publications.
- Markings which are not authorised, are not of the authorised style, or
are not in approved locations, per this bulletin, will be changed or
relocated at the time of vehicle repainting, or when the condition of the
existing marking becomes unsuitable due to deterioration or damage.
- Vehicles and equipment will be repainted only when required for
materiel preservation purposes, and not solely for the purpose of
changing colours, unless necessary for safety or security. Vehicles and
equipment in storage will be marked per this bulletin when withdrawn from
storage or placed in service.
- Any new markings applied will conform to the requirements of this
- Markings in addition to those prescribed or authorised in this bulletin
will be applied only on specific approval of the Department of the Army
(para. 3a) or as identified in official Department of the Army
- Markings peculiar to any vehicle, or series of vehicles, will be
applied per the instructions in this bulletin. Description,
identification, and location of vehicle peculiar markings will be found
in the vehicle technical manual.
- Under tactical conditions, when it becomes necessary to conceal the
markings, all such prominent markings may be covered with temporary paint
(Paint, temporary, lusterless, gasoline removable MIL-P-13983) on
authority of the responsible commander. Such markings may also be
temporarily covered with oil, dirt, mud, or other readily removable
substance for camouflage purposes.